Next City: Spaces and Places Live-Streaming Event
Impact Hub, Oakland is inspiring better cities — that’s the mission of Next City.
Try to imagine a future where cities are not in crisis. Instead, they’re leading the way toward a more sustainable, equitable future. That’s what Next City is all about. Next City provides daily online coverage of the leaders, policies and innovations driving progress in metropolitan regions around the world.
Alan Cash Video in collaboration with Audio Visual Consultants (https://avconsultants.com) were delighted when nonprofit Next City engaged us to live stream their Spaces and Places event at Oakland’s popular coworking space, Impact Hub. The video was streamed in real time via GotoWebinar for online registrants.
Alan Cash at the helm
A live streaming event includes meticulous preparation and backup systems
A live streaming event requires a significant amount of preparation. I am obsessive about details. Everything has to work seamlessly. Because everything is live, there is very little margin for error. Our online audience is relying on a professional broadcast at a specific time; they expect everything to work smoothly, yet we’re relying on house internet access, which can be disrupted. Connections can go down, computers can fail. We always have backups of the main components to ensure a successful shoot.
Prior to any live streaming event, I solicit client requirements with a live stream event brief. Once we have confirmed details and signed a contract, I conduct a thorough site survey to test all facility connections, camera placement, lights and audio options.
Showcasing presenters, panel and audience for the Next City shoot:
To create visual variety, we had four different camera angles to showcase the presenters, the panel and the audience.
My colleague and partner, videographer Stu Sweetow, and our two assistants operated the cameras. The feed was live-switched to include PowerPoint slides.
Sarah who assisted us with the live stream
We can add titles and graphics to the screen. These can also be synched to appear as speakers present themselves live. Both of these options need to be set up in advance.
Technical details of the Next City shoot
- For this four-camera, live-stream shoot that included PowerPoint presentation slides, all four cameras were the same Sony model (FS5mkii), color-matched to ensure consistency across multiple cameras.
- Prior to the shoot, we tested the internet connection. It is essential to have a fast wifi upload speed, ideally a dedicated, ethernet 60mbps + connection.
- We filmed at 1080p, which provides a good streaming resolution and a satisfying viewer experience.
- We used high-quality audio which was keyed in from the audiovisual sound desk. Great audio is an essential requirement for online viewing.
- We used a camera intercom for our camera team, allowing us to communicate during the shoot.
- Alan Cash Video provides an archive recording in HD shortly after the event..
Why we’re doing more live streaming video for our clients
“Viewers will watch a live video approximately three times longer than a pre-recorded one.”
Social Media Today
A big advantage of live streaming video is that it can reach those who may not be able to attend the live event. The Next City shoot is a good example. Their audience is local and national, but the Impact Hub capacity is limited. A nearly unlimited number of viewers can access the video in real time via GotoWebinar.
The benefits of live streaming video:
- Companies recognize the economic value of live streaming video by reducing travel costs.
- Streaming can be archived and accessed according to employee schedules.
- Live streaming extends event reach and builds awareness.
- Because live streaming video is happening now, it creates a sense of urgency and helps grow audiences.
- Events can be filmed in 4K as a premium service, though ACV only broadcasts in 1080p. The 4K version will be supplied after the event.
- Think about evergreen content. The video can also be integrated into the Live Event Video section of your website. It also can become a standalone sizzle video to promote a future event. A three-five minute sizzle video can combine visuals, audio and messaging to create a fast-paced, stylized overview of your product
Learn more about our Oakland video production service here and expand the reach of your next presentation! Consider live streaming video with Alan Cash Video — call us at 510.590.8532.